Sunday 7 September 2014

DEAR OUTLAW !

So I snapped out of my afternoon quick nap dream and wondered if dope was trickled down my throat
Little wonder I kept turning around and fighting my pillow, rolling in bed like someone fighting a tommy ache solo

How can I be dressed in the cops' black uniform, no bullet proof vest, chasing after some criminals who keep increasing in numbers, with a 1849 revolver colt in my hand loaded with blanks?

Was I acting a movie according to a dumb script in this dream? What's this supposed to mean? I sat in bed and reminisced

Throat dry and hunger calling, my legs strolled into the kitchen to fix its mouth a hot plate

Chilling on the couch, tuned the tv to BET and I was on to murder scene on the Fergusson street

The scene of an unarmed young black teen, begging for his life while on his knees, shot to the ground with bullets to his head by keepers of the law in an insane kill

Tears welled up my eyes watching his three step sisters wish their big brother wasn't sent to the world beyond

"Cold world on a good day, when will they let the little kids in the hood play?"

I snapped out of my shock and realized that death "seems" to be the only thing that brings us together

We quickly forget our age, race and background as we bond together to console a broken heart during condolence visits

Death "seems" to be the only thing that make the words of the youth register in the mind of the older generation

Death seems to be the only reminder for the younger generation to learn from the experience of the older

Death seem to be the only thing that makes us abandon our differences in the trashcan and hug onto to one another

Why does death seem to be the only language we understand?

I see the spirit of unity and brotherhood express itself when we rush to accident scenes, while trying to save the lives of victims screaming in distress

I've seen people cry river when helpless to help those who get burnt to ashes in road accident fires

Yet, I've seen wickedness and hatred take its toll on our society, making me wanna end my letters to the Laws in Yours Fearfully !

Dogs no longer hunt cause suya lay in abundance on the streets in my country's far north-east...courtesy of our beasts !

Over four million peasant farmers who struggle to stay alive are displaced from a place that has for long become their home, a place of abode now a fearful sight to behold

Kids now have their parents butchered to pieces before their very eyes, then sent to the streets to find a living if under-aged to be recruited into a guerilla unit...that angry soul is only gonna make a killing !

How long is it gonna take us to realise that a house divided against itself will never stand?

Ambitions and homicide don't coincide, love and hate is just separated by a thin line

With headphones plugged to my ears, listening to the words of my world's greatest poet, the scary dream became clear as it reminded of the words of a man I respect for his daring openness and truth.

Pastor Harry once said; more laws equals less crime is a system that never works. God tried it, it failed so He had to send "Grace"

So Dear Outlaw, when tempted to feel like you rule after taking a life, rendering someone homeless, adding to the statistics of widows and widowers,etcetera. Remember, hatred is easy, try something more challenging like loving your next door neighbour especially that one you don't like !


This article is copyrighted. Please do not reproduce in part or whole, in any form, without obtaining my written permission. Thank you.

1 comment:


  1. 'Death seems to be the only reminder for the younger generation to learn from the experience of the older'.......if so, why hasn't the leaders of this country realised this? Why does evil still triumph in our societies,? At the funeral rites of Gani Fawehinmi , so many leaders of this country were in attendance, they all felt sober....but that was for the moment. when the former president died, they were also there, they felt sober...but that was all there is to it. Fine! When close friends, loved ones, etc dies, we all feel sober.....but what happens after that?



    'I see the spirit of unity and brotherhood express itself when we rush to accident scenes, while trying to save the lives of victims screaming in distress'.......as truthful as this statement could be, the opposite was what I saw months back in Asokoro area of Abuja, Nigeria. Vehicles were moving at a very slow pace when an El-Rufai bus rammed into cars, streetlights, damaging properties with unprecedented speed. My driver had to honk for the car ahead to pave way. Passersby scurried away like rats would into their holes. Before long the whole place was deserted. Alas, it was all fright...fear of another bomb blast as the last bomb was placed inside one if those buses.



    My submission, however, is this, death makes all equall. The Rich, the Poor, the Literate, the Ill iterate....its the bringing to an end of life's activities on earth.

    ReplyDelete