Thursday 7 August 2014

ONCE UPON A YOUTH SERVICE


The curtain's now drawn where it was once open
How we prayed for this day to come loading
Tracking the calendar dates seemed we were aging
Now from these four walls, the gates's been flung open

It all started eleven long months back
When we rode to town with our mind still dark
Asking ourselves which side our dice was gonna land
No influence, just fate and Igarra came in-bound

We both resumed duties like every other JJC
It didn't take long to decipher former legacies
Everyone came around to see the new faces
I doubt if I had in me any bit of ecstacy

We didn't get love from everyone of course
The office beefs and backbites could sweep one off-shore
Some just wanted to see the stuff we were made of
And sometimes, we've had to call off their bluffs

We had voice-mails activated to get their blackmails eradicated
Many attempts God foiled... all to get us implicated !
Achieving in months what they couldn't in years so to jealousy they resorted
They never for once realized they kept getting us elevated?

Suffice to say it wasn't a smooth sail
Waking 4am daily to a challenging workplace
Even the kids do stare at stress in the face
How they pray for holidays to come for their bail !

Sacrifices had to be made to impart the lives of these great ones
They hardly cooperated on the dawn of day one
But when they saw, for them, we had nothing but love
It was fulfilling to watch them grow like a new baby born

Humility and Service..the motto of the scheme
Maybe it was the strength behind what we did
Challenging as it was, we still signed the deal
Seated was a God factor behind everything

How can I forget those names so unique
God's-Gift, God's-speed, God's-Will, God's-Power
Godrica, Godiva, Annointing and God's-Wonder
I was hoping to meet someone named "God-Forbid"

Did I hear him just call himself Freeborn
I smiled as I wondered who came into the world Chain-born
From the shock I was still yet to recover
When two legs walked past named "Provider"

I remember their funny prayers on their way to school
"Thunder fire the yansh of any teacher that tries to fail us"
Lamenting about how they write 5pages and get only three marks
I laugh when they say I don't understand

I, as one, will truly miss these folks
The mystery of parenting they helped me unfold
Genuine love will break even a heart stone cold
Show them you truly care and they'll honour the honour code !

I once thought about tarrying here for a while
But my brother St Smart sharpened my insight
When you don't leave that location at the very right time,
You'll then be the delay behind your own flight !

It was an honour to have served along your side
Thanks for the lessons...I'm grateful for the insights
I'll do my best to keep them imbibed
Its no doubt we part ways for a better life

Some said its "Now Your Struggle Continue"
For me it was "National Youth Service Corp"
Now I'm to be obeyed by the so called "Clarion call"
Its ED/13A/0716 signing out the roll call




This article is copyrighted. Please do not reproduce in part or whole, in any form, without obtaining my written permission. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment